What is a cookie?
Cookies are small text files which are sent to your device when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognises that cookie. Cookies act as a memory for a website, allowing that website to remember your device on your return visits. Cookies can also remember your preferences, improve the user experience as well as tailor the adverts you see to those most relevant to you.
You can find more information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your device and how to manage and delete them at www.aboutcookies.org.
Cookies used on this website
We use both session cookies (which exist only until you close your web browser) and persistent cookies (which exist for a longer, specified period of time). The type of cookies used on this website can generally be put into three categories: Strictly Necessary, Performance and Functionality.
- Strictly Necessary Some of the cookies on our website are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features. These cookies don’t gather information about you that could be used for marketing or remembering where you have been on the internet.
- Performance/Analytics Cookies Some of the cookies on our website collect information about how visitors use the website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies don’t collect information that identifies a visitor. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. It is only used to improve how our website works.
- Our website uses Google Analytics cookies. Information collected by these cookies will be transferred to and stored by Google on servers in the USA in accordance with its privacy practices. For further information of Google’s privacy practices and how this applies to Google analytics, please visit:
Google Analytics privacy overview
Opt out of Google Analytics tracking
- Functionality These cookies allow our website to remember choices you make and provide enhanced, more personal features.
- Third party cookies Our website also allows third parties to download cookies to your device. For example, we sometimes embed photos and video content from websites such as YouTube and Flickr. When you visit a page containing such content, you may be presented with cookies from these websites. You will also see embedded ‘share’ buttons on some of our web pages. These enable you to easily share content through a number of popular social networks. When you click on one of these buttons, a cookie may be set by the service you have chosen to share content through. These third party cookies are not under our control. For further information about their use, please visit the relevant third party website for further information.
How to control and delete cookies
The majority of web browsers accept cookies, but you can usually change the web browser’s settings to refuse new cookies, disable existing ones or simply let you know when new ones are sent to your device . In order to do this, follow the instructions provided by your browser (usually located within the “Help”, “Tools” or “Edit” facility). However, please be aware that, if you refuse or disable cookies, some of the website’s functionality may be lost. In addition, disabling a cookie or category of cookie does not delete the cookie from your browser, you will need to do this yourself from within your browser.